Stump cakes are a huge cake decorating trend but most recipes and tutorials are extremely time-consuming, requiring special chocolate “tree bark” and additional fondant accents. The outcome is gorgeous but not everyone has time for that!
Hi there! Jenny Keller here from Jenny Cookies. I’m excited to show you how to decorate a Lumberjack Stump Cake in under an hour with Wilton’s Checkerboard Cake Set!
The best part about this cake is the surprise waiting inside for your guests. Under layers of chocolate icing hides a buffalo plaid cake design representing iconic lumberjack flannel material.
This cake is perfect for baby showers, birthday parties or even a wedding groom’s cake!
You will need:
• Wilton® Checkerboard Cake Set
• Wilton® Angled Spatula-9″
• Wilton® Angled Spatula 13″-Black
• Wilton® 12” Decorating Bags
• Wilton® Decorating Tip-#789 Cake Icer
• Wilton® Dp 15in Serrated Spatula
• Wilton® Tapered Spatula 9″-Black
• Wilton® Color Right Perfect Color System-8/pkg
• Wilton® Bake Easy! Non-Stick Spray-6 Ounces
• 1 package Chocolate Cake Mix
• 1 package Red Velvet Cake Mix
• 1 package White Cake Mix
• 12 eggs
• 1 cup oil
• 3 cups water
• 4 cans Wilton® Ready-To-Use Decorator Icing-Chocolate
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray pans with Wilton® Bake Easy! Non-Stick Spray-6 Ounces. Using a stand mixer, combine 1 box of Chocolate Cake Mix with 4 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and 1 cups water. Mix on low to medium speed for about 2 minutes. Pour batter into one 9” pan.
2. Using stand mixer, combine 1 box White Cake Mix with 4 egg whites, 1/3 cup oil and one cup water. Mix on low to medium speed for about 2 minutes. Stir Wilton Color Right Perfect Color System Red Coloring into batter until a bright red color is achieved. Pour batter into one 9” pan.
3. Using stand mixer, combine 1 box red velvet cake mix with 4 eggs, 1/3 cup oil and one cup water. Mix on low to medium speed for about 2 minutes. Pour batter into one 9” pan.
4. Bake cakes in preheated oven for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pans 20 minutes.
5. While cakes are cooling, mix Wilton Color Right System Black Coloring into one can of Wilton Chocolate Decorator Icing. Set aside.
6. After cakes are cooled and using a Wilton Serrated Spatula, trim crowns from tops of cakes.
7. Using plastic checkerboard ring, press into center of each cake pan to create three rings in each cake flavor.
8. Carefully remove cake rings from each pan.
9. Assemble the cake rings positioning them in a checkerboard pattern, making sure no two cakes are alike.
10. Carefully place first assembled 3-ring layer on a cake circle. Fill disposable decorating bag with black icing and swirl icing onto the top of the cake layer, evenly distributing the icing.
11. Place second 3-ring layer on top of the first layer, ensuring the checkerboard pattern is lined up. Evenly distribute black icing to layer.
12. Position final 3-ring layer to top of the cake. Using a disposable decorating bag filled with chocolate decorator icing and fitted with a Wilton Cake Icer, ice entire cake.
13. Scrape sides and top of cake with Wilton 13” angled spatula giving cake a thin crumb coat.
14. Using a disposable decorating bag fitted with a Wilton Cake Icer and working in a vertical motion, cover sides of cake with vertical strips of chocolate icing. Once covered completely, give cake a vertical tree texture using Wilton 13” angled spatula, making bottom to top vertical strips.
15. Smooth top of cake with angled spatula.
16. Using a small dot of Wilton Color Right Coloring System Black on a tapered Wilton angled spatula, create a circular pattern at the top of the cake giving it a tree slice appearance.
17. Your cake is completed! It’s best to keep the cake refrigerated until serving.
The possibilities are endless with Wilton’s Checkerboard Cake Set. Try it with different flavored cakes creating unusual combinations or color the cakes to coordinate holiday or special event colors. Whatever your party palette, you can create something unique with this awesome set!