Happy Fall, y’all! Jenny Keller here of Jenny Cookies. One of my most requested cake recipes is a cake I made a few years ago inspired by a cake I had seen online topped with caramel apples. Chocolate cake plus caramel apples? Yes, please.
This Naked Caramel Apple Cake is simple to make and will definitely be a showstopper at your fall party or gathering. The best part about this cake is how forgiving it is! Not a baker or cake decorator? No problem! This rustic fall cake is meant to be gooey and messy and doesn’t require an exterior coat of icing.
What you’ll need:
8” cake pans
Bake Easy Spray
Wilton Caramel Dip (available at JOANN)
Wood sticks or branches
One batch Buttercream frosting (recipe below)
One batch Chocolate Drip (recipe below)
Offset angled spatula
Wilton Cake Icer
Disposable decorating bags
Naked Caramel Apple Cake
3 small apples
2 boxes chocolate cake mix
2 (3.4 oz) boxes instant Jell-O vanilla pudding
2 cups water
2/3 cup oil
8 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat the 8″ and 6″ round nonstick cake pans with cooking spray. Set the prepared pans aside.
2. Using an electric stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the cake mix, pudding mix, water, oil and eggs on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until well blended. Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix again until all the ingredients are incorporated.
3. Pour the batter into prepared cake pans, filling each one approximately 3/4 full.
4. Place the pans in the preheated oven, on the middle rack. Bake the cakes for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
5. Remove the pans from the oven and place on a wire cooling rack for 25-30 minutes. Run a knife around the edges of the cakes, flip pans over and gently extract the cakes. Return to the wire racks and finish cooling completely before frosting and decorating.
6. Meanwhile, make one batch of buttercream frosting. See recipe below.
7. Before decorating, trim the crowns from the cake tops with a cake cutter or long serrated knife.8. Place one of the 8″ cakes on a cake board, cut side up. Fill disposable icing bag fitted with a cake icer tip with buttercream icing and pipe icing evenly across the top of the cake layer. Place the second and third 8″ cakes on top of the first, with the cut sides on the bottom, piping buttercream between each layer.
9. Make chocolate drip (see recipe below). Once drip is ready, fill disposable decorating bag with drip and cut tip of bag. Spread along edges of the cake and finish by adding remaining drip to the top.10. Place cake in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to let drip set up.
11. Wash apples. Place wood branches into each apple for the stick.
12. Melt Wilton caramel apple spread in microwave. Pour melted caramel into disposable decorating bag.13. Remove cake from refrigerator and repeat drip technique with caramel. Dip apples using remaining caramel (in separate bowl).14. Place caramel apples on top of the cake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts. Enjoy!
Buttercream Icing Recipe
1 cup margarine or butter
1 cup shortening
2 lbs powdered sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 tbls milk
1. Combine the margarine and shortening in the bowl of an electric mixer; using a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes.
2. Add half of the powdered sugar and continue beating on low speed for an additional 2 minutes, or until the mixture is creamy, scraping the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed. Add the remaining powdered sugar, vanilla and milk, and beat until the frosting is creamy and fluffy, about 2 minutes more.
Chocolate Drip Recipe
8oz heavy cream
1. Microwave heavy cream and chocolate in microwave safe bowl for about 45 seconds. Stir.
2. Microwave for about 30 more seconds. Chocolate will be almost melted. Let it sit for a minute to melt. Stir again. Let sit. After a few minutes, a soft chocolate ganache will form. Perfect for the drip!