Hello there! Abby here from Sew Much Ado, and I’m excited to share a personalized gift idea with you today!
Jo-Ann Fabric and Crafts Stores has a new personalized fabric line, allowing you to create completely personalized and unique projects. They have a huge selection of fabrics, ranging from licensed fabrics such as Star Wars to trendy bicycles! You’ll find the perfect fabric for any project you can dream up!
Today I’m sharing a tutorial to make your own personalized notebook cover. I use notebooks constantly for jotting down ideas, keeping lists, and keeping track of my day to day activities, and I love having a beautiful personalized cover to make them unique and special!
• 1yd (you’ll only need about 1/2yd but it is ordered by the yard so you’ll have enough fabric for two projects!) Personalized fabric of choice (I used this gorgeous pink floral printed on eco canvas)
• 1/2yd 45-60” fabric for lining
• 1yd 20” wide fusible interfacing (because of the heavy canvas weight I only interfaced the lining fabric, but if using a lighter weight exterior fabric, interface that as needed)
• 3/8” wide elastic
• college rule spiral bound notebook
• Personalization fabric – cut 1 piece 18”Wx11.5”H (for exterior), cut 2 pieces 7.5”Wx11.5”H (for inner pockets) TIP: “fussy cut” fabric to best show personalization
• Lining fabric – cut 1 piece 18”Wx11.5”H (for interior), cut 2 pieces 7.5”Wx11.5”H (for inside flaps)
• Interfacing – cut 1 piece 18”Wx11.5”H, cut 2 pieces 7.5”Wx11.5”H (for inside flaps)
• Elastic – cut 1 piece 11” in length
Let’s get to work!
Attach interfacing to lining fabric pieces following manufacturer’s instructions.
Fold each pocket piece in half, matching short edges. Being sure to note direction of personalization, topstitch across the top of each pocket, ¼” from folded edge.
Place each pocket piece on one flap piece, aligning side and bottom edges. Stitch around side and bottom edges, ¼” from edge.
Press inner long edge of each flap/pocket piece ¼” to wrong side of fabric. Press another ¼” to wrong side and stitch along folded edge to secure.
Stitch vertical lines on pockets as desired to hold pencils, pens, etc.
Fold personalized fabric exterior piece in half to determine front and back of notebook cover. Stitch elastic to back over cover, matching ends to top and bottom raw edges and 2” from side edge of back cover (stretch elastic to fit).
Sandwich flap pieces between exterior and interior pieces, with exterior and interior pieces right sides together and flap pieces wrong side toward lining interior piece and aligned along side of interior/exterior pieces.
Pin and stitch around all four edges, leaving 3-4” opening along top or bottom center (it’s easiest if opening is left between the flaps).
Trim corners, turn notebook cover right sides out through opening, press flat along edges and press opening raw edges under.