1. Cut the following pieces from cotton print fabrics: one 7½"x4¾", one 7"x3¾" and one 5"x2¾".
2. Fuse interfacing to wrong side of cotton fabrics following manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Fold each piece of fabric in 1/2" increments (accordion style) and press firmly as folding.
4. Take a piece of embroidery floss and tie around the middle while folded. Secure with a knot. Trim excess thread.
5. Open up folds to make a fan-like shape. Glue the opening at center together to hold the fan shape.
6. Glue fans onto headband where desired.
7. Embellish with buttons, beads and rosettes.
1. Cut one 6" circle and one 4½" circle out of fabric A.
2. Cut one 5" circle and one 4" circle out of fabric B.
3. Cut 4 leaves out of fabric A.
4. To make yo-yo, take circle and fold edge to wrong side 1/4". Knot thread and hand stitch around edge using sewing needle.
5. Pull thread to gather up edge and form yo-yo. Knot end to secure.
6. Continue to make all four yo-yos.
7. Stack yo-yos on top of each other, mixing fabrics and colors.
8. Glue in place.
9. Embellish centers of yo-yos with buttons if desired.
10. With right sides together, sew leaves with straight bottom edge open.
11. Trim point. Turn right side out.
12. For headband covering, cut a bias strip of fabric 2"x17" long.
13. Square off short ends. Fold short ends to wrong side 1/2". Glue in place.
14. Center headband over strip and fold long edges over headband 1/2" along each side. Glue in place.
15. Cover center of headband on inside with grosgrain ribbon. Fold up ends and glue in place to finish.
16. Arrange yo-yos and leaves on headband as desired.
17. Glue in place.
LOOP FLOWER ELASTIC HEADBAND
1. From felt, cut one 2½" circle and from other felt piece, cut a 2" circle.
2. For larger flower, cut 1/2" wide strips of one coordinating fabric: eleven 4" long, nine 3½" long and fifteen 3" long.
3. Glue ends of strips together to create a loop. Continue for all strips, keeping the strips/loops separate for the 4", 3½" and 3" long fabric strips.
4. Starting in the middle of the 2½" felt circle, glue the longer strips first, work outwards and around circle. Continue with the 3½" long strips and finish with the 3" strips around the edge.
5. Cut 1/2" fabric strips from the second coordinating fabric: ten 3½" long, twelve 3" long.
6. Glue the strips/loops to the 2" felt circle following the same technique.
7. Take elastic and wrap around head to determine length. Add 2" for overlap. Cut to desired length.
8. For elastic casing, cut fabric 3"x1½ times the length of the elastic piece.
9. With right sides together, fold fabric in half lengthwise. Stitch 3/8" away from raw edge along long edge.
10. Turn right side out and slip casing over elastic.
11. Pull back fabric and overlap elastic ends and stitch elastic together only using a machine zigzag stitch.
12. Fold ends of fabric in 1/4" to finish. Folded ends should “kiss”. Hand stitch folded ends together.
13. Glue loop flowers onto headband.
PADDED CIRCLE FLOWER HEADBAND
1. Cut two 2½" circles and four 2" circles out of fabric. Cut four leaves out of fabric.
2. Cut one 2½" circle and two 2" circles out of batting. Cut two leaves out of batting.
3. Sew circles and leaves, right sides together and edges even, along with one piece of batting, creating 3 finished circles and 2 finished leaves. Leave a small opening for turning.
4. Turn right side out and hand stitch opening closed.
5. Arrange flowers and leaves on headband as desired, overlapping for more interest. Glue in place.
6. Embellish with beads and buttons if desired.