JOANN carries two types of foam, and even though they can both used for reupholstering, there are a few key differences between the two. High-Density Foam
is a type of polyurethane foam that is composed of large amounts of bubbles that are packed tightly together. NuFoam
is a safe alternative to conventional foam that is made from densified polyester batting. Let’s review some key features of both types of foam.
- This foam that can hold its shape with great efficiency.
- It's great for chair cushions, sofas, boat seats, bar stools, RV seats, upholstery and more.
- Comes in ½, 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 inch depths to really help with any project.
- High-Density Foam is sold in specific chair cushion sizes like 1”x15”x17”.
- By-the-yard sheets that are 24” wide x 2.5 yards can be cut and sold as shorter lengths, but we DO NOT cut width
- With the wear and tear of everyday living this foam helps furniture keep its shape longer.
Foam Tips & Tricks:
- This foam is mildew resistant and won’t yellow or disintegrate over time.
- It may retain water if it gets too saturated. Place on its side to help drain the water or add grommets to allow for drainage.
- NuFoam is perfect for patio furniture, camping, futons, crib bumpers, playpens mats, RV accessories and more.
- It is made of compressed layers of 100% polyester and comes in ½, 1, and 2 inch depths.
- Sold in specific sizes, including crib bumpers, and various-sized chair cushions in 1, 2, 3 & 4” thickness.
- Comes in by-the-yard 27” wide x 5 yard sheets, and can be cut and sold in shorter lengths, but we DO NOT cut width.
- The denser the foam, the longer is will retain its shape.
- When using foam to reupholster boats, campers or any other outdoor usesz, NuFoam is recommended, since it won’t mildew.
- NuFoam will compress overtime so recommending a 1” thicker than intended will help with keeping its shape longer. (This will be a snug fit)
- Both High-Density and NuFoam are non-allergenic and should be cut using an electric knife.