SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
• 24 yds 12/32" filler cording
• 1/4 yd each of 8 coordinating
• 2 large spools of thread
• Basting glue stick
• Fabric marker
• Spring-hinge clothespins
• Basic sewing supplies
• Sewing machine
• Rotary cutter, cutting mat &
1. Cut fabrics into 3/4"x45" strips.
2. Cover end of cording by folding fabric strip over and around end.
Start wrapping cording overlapping 1/4" and securing end with
pin or clothespin.
3. Fold end over 4" and using the widest, longest zigzag stitch,
catch both edges of cords.
4. Turn cord, continue stitching and form an oval bottom approx. 4"x8".
5. To add another fabric strip, just overlap and continue wrapping.
Use pin or basting glue to hold in place.
6. Start sides by holding bottom as close to a 90-degree angle as
7. Continue wrapping and stitching, changing fabrics to form desired
pattern until basket measures 9" high, approx. 28 rows.
8. The next 2 rows will form handles. Mark center front and back on
top row. Mark 3" on each side for a 6" opening.
9. Continue the cord until reaching the mark for the handle opening.
Reinforce at this point, leave a 12" piece of cording free and
continue stitching and reinforcing cord at other mark. Handle
opening is 6". Repeat for other side.
10. Repeat with one more row of cording, then cut end and finish.