SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Dylon® Permanent Dye:
- 18 gauge stem wire
- Wire cutters
- Round-nose pliers
- 150 coffee filters
- Measuring utensils
- Large bowl
- Hot glue gun
- Masking Tape
- 2 Straight pins
- Styrofoam ball
Preparing stems: 5 minutes
1. Cut six wires into five pieces each (approx. 3-1/2" each) to create 30 stems.
2. With pliers, curl the tip of each stem to form a small loop.
Preparing petals: 30 minutes
1. Flip stack of filters inside-out, to loosen and separate.
2. Stack two filters on top of each other.
3. Fold filters in half, rotate perpendicular (90°) and fold in half again.
4. Fold in half two more times – equaling four folds total.
5. While cutting through the folded layers, round the outer edge into a single scallop. Unfold.Dying petals: approx. 1 hour
1. Following instructions on the package, prepare bowl of dye.
Place filters into dye in 3 portions to create variegated color.
2. Add first portion into dye, and leave for 30 minutes.
3. Add second portion into dye, and leave for 15 minutes.
4. Add last portion into dye, and leave for 5 minutes.
5. Remove all filters from dye, and rinse with cool water until the water is only slightly colored.
NOTE: do not rinse until water runs clear, as you will lose too much color.
6. Gently roll and squeeze excess water from filters.
7. Separate into smaller portions, and put into drier for 10 minutes.
Assembling flowers: 2 minutes ea.
1. Separate filters into stacks of five.
For variegated flowers, start with the darkest filters in the center.
2. Insert the cut end of stem, through the center of first (darkest) filter.
3. Place a small dot of hot glue on wire loop, and twist filter around the wire. Be careful – hot!
4. Insert stem through the center of the second filter, and twist around first filter.
5. Repeat previous step with last three filters.
6. Cut a piece of tape, and secure to the stem.
Assembling ball: 3 minutes
1. Hot glue ends of hanging ribbon to ball, and secure with 2 pins.
2. Insert flowers approx. 2" apart.
TIPS & TECHNIQUES:
Each ball contains 30 flowers
The 6" Styrofoam ball is made with 8" (8-12 cups) coffee filters
The 8" Styrofoam ball is made with 10" (industrial) coffee filters