1. Prepare work surface with a table cover.
2. Prepare dye baths. In small glasses or bowls pour 1 cup boiling water and 1/4 cup of Rit Dye. Stir to mix well. Test the color with strips of paper towels to ensure the desired color. If colors needs to be darker, add more dye, lighter, add more water.
3. Prepare Rit Dye Color Stay dye fixative with a spray top. Either pour in a spray bottle, or if Color Perfect Color Stay is available, apply the spray nozzle.
4. Wet the dress in the sink and ring out excess water. Layout on work surface. Place a plastic table cloth inside dress to prevent dye from soaking through.
5. Starting at the bottom of the dress, apply dye on white polka dots with a dauber. Once the front has been completed, flip over to dye paint the back of the dress with the same color.
6. After each color, spray Rit Dye Color Stay dye fixative to that section (both front and back) and allow to set for 20 minutes. This will keep the colors from running into each other and help the fabric to absorb more of the dye pigment. Use a hair dryer to speed up the drying process.
7. Repeat steps for entire dress.
8. To heat set the dress, put in the dryer for 10 to 15 minutes.
9. Rinse in the sink until the rinse water runs clear. Hand wash with dish soap and dry.