SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd brown ribbed knit fabric
- 1 package of 1/2" elastic
- Rotary cutter
- Rotary cutting mat
- Acrylic ruler
- Thread: brown, white & red
- Red ribbon
- Sewing machine
- Basic sewing supplies
- Hand needle
- Iron & pressing surface
1. Cut 2 pieces of knit fabric 9"x23", cutting with the rib.
2. Cut from elastic, four 9" pieces for horizontal stripes, two 5-1/2" pieces for the vertical stripes, and six 2" pieces for the smaller horizontal stripes.
3. Fold down 1-1/2" on one of the 9" edges to create a hem. Sew down close to edge. Press.
4. Place 9" elastic strip parallel to hem stitching, about 3" from stitch line. Stitch down the center of elastic. Place second 9" strip 9" away from previous stip. Stitch down.
5. Place the 5-1/2" elastic strip perpendicular to the 9" elastic strips, centered in between the horizontal strips and in the center of the fabric. Stitch down.
6. Stitch down the three 2" elastic strips horizontally on the vertical strip, evenly spaced.
7. Fold fabric long ways with right sides together. Sew a 1/4" seam to form a tube. Press.
8. With seam in center back and right sides together, sew the bottom of the sock with a straight line that slightly curves at corners. Press and flip right side out.
9. Tie ribbon in a bow. Hand stich bow to back on center seam.
10. Repeat steps 3-10 for other sock.