For sewing with knits:
* Use an overlock machine (serger) if possible, or sew with a zig-zag or stretch stitch on a regular machine.
* Use a ball point needle.
* A walking foot will help keep hems from stretching while sewing.
* When hand-sewing embellishments on knits, choose location thoughtfully; be sure to allow stretch in hems and neckline. Don’t pull stitches tight; allow a little room for stretch. Test on scrap fabric before beginning
For distressing jeans:
* Do not over distress, when washed the jeans will distress more.
* Try using the side of the blade instead of the tip to distress larger areas.
* When selecting areas to be distressed, think about where jeans naturally wear.
GET THE LOOK: RAGLAN KNIT TOP
1. Follow pattern to construct top.
2. Add a hand-embroidered blanket stitch using metallic floss around shoulder seams.
1. Place cutting mat under jeans. Place magazine or thick newspaper inside jeans under area to be distressed.
2. Use blade in short, light strokes to cut denim. Avoid cutting through the denim completely.
3. Rub area with sanding block.
4. Repeat on different areas on jeans for desired look.