SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Haley Pre-cut Dress Pieces
- 1 pkg Little Dress Boutique™ Haley Strips
- Lightweight paper-backed fusible web: 2-1/2"x2-1/2" (flower)
- Wood dowel or chopstick
- Safety pin
- Rotary cutter, acrylic ruler & mat
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Use a 1/4" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching, or pinking shears.
FITTING: The Haley Double Ruffle Dress as pictured is 21-1/2". Consult the fitting information section from the Little Dress Boutique™ Haley Pre-cut Dress Pieces package for fitting guidelines. Depending on the techniques you choose for embellishment, finished dress length may vary.
- Follow Steps 1-4 of the dress instructions to make the dress.
- If altering the length of the dress from the fitting information, make sure of the desired length before proceeding. Adding the lower ruffles will add approximately 1" to the length of the dress depending on where it is placed.
- Fold 1/4” twice to wrong side on bottom edge and sew next to pressed edge to hem. Turn dress right side out.
- Make shoulder tie from a 5" strip. Cut strip in half lengthwise to 2-1/2"x42". Fold one strip in half RST so long edges meet and sew 1/4" from all cut edges leaving a 3" opening in the center for turning. Turn right side out and use a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Topstitch close to all edges, sewing opening closed.
Attach a safety pin to one end of tie and feed through the front and back casings. Pull to gather and tie on one shoulder. Note: For quick serged ties, sew with wrong sides together and finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Make ruffles from 5" strips. Cut two strips 3-1/4"x42" of one fabric and two strips 3-1/4"x42" of a second fabric. Place ruffle strips (same fabric) RST matching edges and corners. Pin the short edges and sew with a 1/4" seam to create a circle; press seams open. Press long edges 1/4” twice to the wrong side to hem both edges. Stitch close to the fold on both edges.
For quick serged ruffles, finish edges with a serged rolled hem.
- Lay ruffle flat so seams meet and mark the center along both top edges. Sew 1/2" from the top edge with a long gathering stitch, stopping at each side seam and leaving a long thread tail. Repeat 1/4" from the first gathering row.
- Find and mark the center front and back at bottom of dress. Place top edge of lower ruffle on right side of dress, 1" above bottom edge of dress. Match seams, placing pins at seams and center marks. Pull threads, adjusting gathers evenly to fit. Sew along rows of gathering or zigzag between to attach ruffle to dress. In the same manner, pin the upper ruffle so it overlaps the lower ruffle approximately 3/4" and sew in place.
- Make ruffle flower hair accessory from remaining strip fabric. The project shown was made from excess fabric cut from shortening the dress. If the dress is a larger size, the hair accessory can still be made out of strips. Cut a strip 4-1/2"x28" for the tie. Fold in half lengthwise RST and stitch around three sides leaving a 3" opening in the middle to turn. Clip corners and turn right side out using a wood dowel or chopstick to carefully push out corners; press well. Hand stitch opening closed.
- Cut two 2-1/2" squares for the flower base.
Trace a 2" circle on paper side of fusible web square using the template. Iron fusible web square to wrong side of 2-1/2" square according to manufacturer’s directions. Cut out on the drawn line and remove the paper. Fuse, glue side down, on the wrong side of the second 2-1/2" square according to the manufacturer’s directions. Cut out around outside of circle.
- For flower, use remaining 2-1/2"x42" strip from Step 3 and fold in half lengthwise wrong sides together. Cut the ends so they are slightly rounded. Set stitch length to longest setting and stitch 1/8" from the raw edges, and then again 1/4" from the raw edges. Pull threads to gather tightly.
- Pin the end of the strip 1/2" from the edge of the flower base. Sew by hand, or machine zigzag continuing in a spiral, so the folded edge overlaps and covers the gathered edge. Fold the remaining end back on itself to cover the center.
- Attach flower to tie with a safety pin.
Finished Care Instructions: Machine wash warm and hang to dry. Press on cotton setting if needed. Remove flower from headband and hand wash cold. Lay flat to dry and press if needed.