SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Cake Stand
- Dritz® Iron-On Lettering Soft Flock Cooper, ¾" white
- Fabric (approximately 1 yard; amount needed will depend upon the size of cake stand)
- Dritz® Fabric Pencil
- Printer & paper (to create templates)
- Sewing machine
- Accent fabric (approximately ½ yard)
- Omnigrid® Ruler
- Omnigrid® Rotary cutter & mat
- Straight pins
Preparing Cover: 25 minutes
1. With fabric pencil, trace the circumference of the cake stand’s plate onto back of fabric.
2. Draw another circle 1" larger. Cut out, following the outer circle.
3. Measure the diameter of the inner circle, and multiply by 3.14 to find the circumference.
4. Add 2" to your circumference.
5. Cut a 3" wide strip that is the length of the measurement in step 4.
6. Along the back of your strip, mark a 1" line.
7. Print and cut out the scallop template.
8. Align the top line of the template with your 1" mark, then trace the scalloped edge.
9. Using a zigzag stitch or serger, follow your scallop outline.
10. Carefully snip off the extra fabric from around the scallops and press.
11. Following the instructions on the package, apply letters to scallops.
Assembling Cover: 10 minutes
1. Cut a 2" strip of your accent fabric that is the same length as your scallop band.
2. Press accent strip in half, lengthwise, printed side showing.
3. Align cut edges, and pin accent strip on top of scallop band. Stitch with a ¾" seam allowance.
4. Snip the seam allowance of assembled accent/scallop band every ½".
5. Lay right sides of scallop band and top circle together, and stitch together by aligning the cut edges of the band to the circumference of circle and bending the band as you go – stitch just left of the existing seam.
TIPS & TECHNIQUES:
Measure your cake stand to determine the amount of fabric you will need
Iron-on Flock letters can also be peeled gently from the backing paper, and applied by pressing for 5 to 8 seconds