SUPPLIES AND TOOLS:
- 24 hours in advance, make grad caps. Tint 5 oz. fondant black; knead 1/4 teaspoon Gum-Tex into fondant. Tint 1 1/2 oz. fondant yellow; knead 1/8 teaspoon Gum-Tex into fondant.
- For top of cap, use fondant roller with purple guide rings to roll out black fondant 1/8” thick. Use fondant trimmer to cut into 13 squares, 1 1/2”. Roll 13 black fondant balls, 1/8”, flatten slightly and use damp brush to attach to top of fondant squares. For base of cap, divide remaining black fondant into 13 round portions and shape into squares, 1/2”. Let tops and bases of caps dry on cornstarch-dusted cake board overnight.
- Use piping gel to attach cap tops to bases. Roll yellow fondant into thin logs 1/8” thick x 1 1/8” long. Use damp brush to attach to caps. For tassel ends, use fondant roller with purple guide rings and roll out fondant 1/8” thick. Cut one piece for each treat, 3/4” long x 1/2” wide. Use knife to fringe the ¾” side, roll and attach to end of tassel with damp brush.
- Make cupcakes. Prepare batter following recipe directions. Bake and cool cupcakes.
- Decorate cupcakes. Prepare buttercream icing following recipe directions. Use spatula to ice top of cupcakes smooth. Position graduation caps on cupcakes. Place cupcakes on stand.
Project Tip: Wilton Baking Cups come in a variety of colors so you can stay true to your school and show off your spirit in any color combination!