1. Start at the top of the letters with white paint and add pink paint. Blend the colors while the paint is wet then allow to dry.
2. Make a herringbone stencil from poster board or acetate. Use a ruler and pencil to draw out pattern. Project shown – zig-zag is 1-1/2" wide x 3" long x 3" high repeated 12" across page and repeated 4 times on the stencil.
3. Cut out stencil using a ruler and craft knife. Or use masking tape strips on the letters, forming X&'s and then using a craft knife and ruler to remove sections of the tape to form the zig-zags.
4. Lay the stencil on top of the letter.
5. Apply gray paint using a dry brush technique –work from the outside in along the stencil or tape. Allow to dry. Carefully remove tape or stencil. Repeat with all the letters.
6. Using a sanding block, apply vertical strokes to each of the letters to distress them. Wipe the letters down with a clean cloth to remove any residue.
7. Letters can be arranged standing up or glue a ribbon hangar to the back of each letter for hanging.