SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Ready-to-Use Gum Paste (6 oz. needed)
- Favorite cake mix or recipe (6 cups batter needed)
- White Ready-to-Use Decorator Icing – 4.5 lb. Tub (9 cups icing needed)
- Leaf Green Icing Color*
- Lemon Yellow Icing Color*
- Teal Icing Color
- Royal Blue Icing Color*
- Violet Icing Color*
- Sky Blue Icing Color*
- Rose Icing Color*
- Black Icing Color
- Decorator Preferred White Fondant (10-1/4 oz. needed)
- Chameleon Tail Printable Pattern
To print the patterns, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above)
- 9 in. Fondant Roller
- Craft knife
- 6 in. x 3 in. Round Cake Pan
- Cooling Grid
- Disposable Decorating Bags
- 9 in. Angled Spatula
- 11 in. Straight Spatula
- 6-pc. Round Fondant Double Cut-Outs Set (“B”, “C”, “D”, “E” and “F” cut-outs used)
- Water Brush
- Round Decorating Tip 6
- Cake Board
*Icing Combinations: Combine Leaf Green and Lemon Yellow icing colors to get green color shown. Combine Royal Blue and Violet icing colors to get dark blue color shown. Combine Sky Blue and Royal Blue icing colors to get light and medium blue color shown. Combine Rose and Royal Blue icing colors to get light and medium magenta color shown.
- Two days in advance, make tail. To print the patterns, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above) and print out Chameleon Tail Pattern. Cut out shape.
- Roll out gum paste to 3/16 in. thickness. Using sharp knife and pattern, cut out tail. Let dry on cornstarch-dusted cake board for at least 8 to 10 hours.
- Bake cake. Prepare cake batter following recipe instructions. Bake and cool two 6 in. cake layers. Level each layer to 2-1/2 in. high. Fill and stack for 5 in. high cake.
- Tint icing. Use color combinations provided to tint icing in the following shades:
3-1/2 cups icing green
1 cup icing teal
1 cup icing dark blue
1 cup icing yellow
1 cup icing light blue
1 cup icing medium magenta
1/4 cup icing black
- Using spatula, ice cake with green icing. Transfer remaining green icing to decorating bag; cut small tip in bag. Set aside for later step.
- Prepare decorating bag with teal icing; cut medium tip in bag. Pipe teal icing randomly around cake, using spatula to smooth into green icing. Reserve remaining teal icing in bag for later step.
- Ice cake and tail. Fill four decorating bags separately with dark blue, yellow, light blue and medium magenta icing. Cut medium tips in each bag. Using all prepared colors, as well as remaining green and teal icing, pipe lines of color around sides and on top of cake. Using spatula, swipe up, from bottom of cake to top, allowing colors to blend and creating vertical smears of icing around and on top of cake.
- Repeat same technique for icing tail, covering first in green icing, blending in teal icing, then mixing in various colors using spatula, following shape and curve of tail.
- Tint fondant. Use icing colors to tint fondant in the following shades:
4 oz. fondant dark blue
2 oz. fondant light magenta
1 oz. fondant medium blue
1 oz. fondant green
1 oz. fondant teal
1 oz. fondant yellow
1/4 oz. fondant black
- Make eyes. Using fondant roller with purple guide rings, roll out medium blue, green and teal fondant, separately, to 1/8 in. thickness.
- Using smooth side of round cut-outs, cut out two medium blue circles with “B” cut-out, two green circles with “C” cut-out and two teal circles with “D” cut-out.
- Using Water Brush, attach one teal circle to center of green circle, then attach green circle to center of medium blue circle. Repeat for other eye. Using “E” cut-out, cut out center of each eye.
- Roll two 1/2 oz. balls of yellow fondant. Using Water Brush, dab water on inside of cut center circle of each eye. Position yellow balls in center of eyes, flattening ball until it fills the circle fully.
- Using fondant roller with pink guide rings, roll out black fondant to 1/16 in. thickness. Using “F” cut-out, cut out two circles. Using Water Brush, attach black circle to yellow part of each eye, cutting through all three layers.
- Position eyes on cake. If icing on cake has crusted, pipe remaining icing in any color on back of each eye before attaching to cake.
- Make center crest. Roll dark blue fondant into ball, then form into cone. Flatten base of cone on hard surface, then use hands, pressing sides in together and bringing fondant down into a point, to help form crest shape. Pinch edges to add finer detail. Position on top of cake near back.
- Make side crests. Roll 1 oz. light magenta fondant into ball, then a 7 in. log – making sure log is slightly thicker in the middle. Flatten slightly on hard surface. Repeat with remaining 1 oz. light magenta fondant.
- Attach to top and front of cake.
- Position mouth and tail. Prepare decorating bag with tip 6 and black icing. Pipe nostrils and mouth on cake.
- Pipe icing in any color on base of tail; attach to back side of cake.