SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Favorite cake mix or recipe
- Creamy White Decorator Icing: 4 lb tub
- Kelly Green Icing Color
- Black Icing Color
- Orange Candy Melts® Candy (6oz needed)
- Bright White Candy Melts® Candy (6oz needed)
- Light Cocoa Candy Melts® Candy (6oz needed)
- Black Candy Melts Candy® (4oz needed)
- Vibrant Green Candy Melts® Candy (4oz needed)
- Red Candy Melts® Candy (3oz needed)
- 8"x 3" round pan
- Cooling grid
- Large cake leveler
- 13" angled spatula
- Icing smoother
- 3-piece icing comb set
- Cake turntable
- Disposable decorating bags
- Round Decorating Tip 3
- Sports Ball Printable PDF Template (link to pattern online)
- Cake board
- Parchment paper
- Star Decorating Tip 21
To print the patterns, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
- Make candy decorations. Print template; tape to cake board. Tape parchment paper over template. Set aside.
Melt Orange, Bright White, Light Cocoa, Black, Vibrant Green and Red candy, separately, according to package directions. Transfer melted candy into six individual decorating bags. Cut 1/8" off tip of each bag.
Using melted candy and prepared pattern, make 4 to 5 of each sports ball. For baseball and football, freehand the stitching after ball is fully covered.
Chill until set, about 5 to 10 minutes.
Bake cake. Prepare cake batter following recipe instructions. Bake and cool two cake layers. Level, fill and stack layers for 5" high cake.
Using white icing, ice cake smooth, using heavier icing on sides of cake.
Using squared notch icing comb, comb cake, removing excess icing as needed. Place cake in freezer to set, about 45 to 60 minutes.
Tint icing. Using Kelly Green icing color, tint 1 cup icing green. Set aside for later step.
- Using Black icing color, tint 2 cups white icing black. Prepare decorating bag with tip 3 and black icing.
Place cake on turntable. Carefully pipe black icing into indents of cake. Using icing smoother, smooth out icing, wiping smoother clean after each use.
Decorate cake. Prepare decorating bag with white icing; cut 1/4" off tip of bag. Arrange sports balls around cake, using icing to adhere as needed.
Prepare decorating bag with tip 21 and reserved green icing. Pipe elongated swirls around top edge of cake.
Craft Hack Tips and Tricks:
- The more times you go around the cake with the icing smoother, the more defined the lines will become.