SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1/2 yd light blue felt
- 1/8 yd each of felt in white, yellow, orange and pink
- Pearl cotton embroidery thread in white
- Water or air soluble marking pen
- 5/8"x 20yd Stitch Witchery regular tape
- Clear acrylic ruler
- Iron & ironing surface
- Fabric scissors
- Embroidery needle
- 3/8” dowel rod
- Pink yarn
- Cut a 10”x 13” rectangle from blue felt. Mark the center of the bottom edge using the marking pen. Measure up 3” from the bottom on each side and mark with the marking pen. Connect the marks on the sides to the center mark, creating a point. Cut along the lines to make the pointed bottom.
- To make a pocket for the dowel rod, fold the top edge to the back by 1”. Adhere to the banner using the Stitch Witchery tape and iron.
- Cut 2” letters out of felt to complete your message, alternating colors as you go.
- Stitch letters to the banner using the pearl cotton embroidery thread and long running stitches.
- Trim dowel to 12” long. Slide dowel through the pocket in the banner.
- To make tassels, wrap yarn around a scrap of cardboard at least 5” wide. More yarn will create a fuller tassel. When you have reached your desired fullness, carefully slide the pile of loops off of the cardboard.
- Cut two 10” lengths of yarn. Use one piece to tie a knot through the top loop of the yarn pile. Use the second piece to tie around the whole pile of yarn 1 1/2” down from the top knot creating the tassel. The ends from this knot will incorporate into the rest of the yarn from the tassel.
- Cut the bottom loops and trim the ends of the tassel to the desired length and so that the ends are even.
- Use the knot ends from the top knot to tie the tassel to the end of the dowel rod.
- Repeat for the second tassel.
- Tie a piece of yarn or pearl embroidery thread to the dowel rod to hang the banner.
Craft Hack Tips and Tricks:
- Use washable glue stick to hold your letters in place as you sew.