Note: The Fairy costume is made by making a basic, knee-length A-lined dress then making a separate overskirt which is covered with gathered strips of shear fabric.
SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- Purchased pattern Butterick® 6013 (or pattern of choice)
- Fabric & notions for view A dress plus 1/4 yd for overskirt
- 3 yds each of 9 different 45" wide sheer fabrics
- Fabric marker
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Wings, wand and headpiece (sold separatly)
- Follow manufacturer’s directions and sew basic knee-length dress. If using Butterick® 6013 view A make skirt even length all the way around rather than longer in the back.
- For the overskirt, use the skirt pattern and measure down 7" from the top and cut out pieces, forming a 7" long skirt.
- Out of the same fabric cut a strip 2" x WOF for waistband and tie.
- Sew side seams of the overskirt together.
- Sew a narrow hem along bottom and back edges.
- With the fabric marker, draw a sewing line 1" down from the top of the overskirt. Continue drawing parallel sewing lines 1" apart all the way down the overskirt.
- Cut all of the sheer fabrics into 6" x 12" pieces.
NOTE: You will get 7 pieces from each 12" x WOF cut. Amount of pieces needed will vary depending on size of dress.
Gathering the sheer skirt pieces:
- With two layers of the same sheer fabric RS up gather the top (one narrow end) 3/8" from the edge.
- Pull the gathering together as tight as possible; knot to secure.
- Set aside; repeat with the rest of the pieces.
Constructing the overskirt:
- Sew the gathered end of a sheer pair to the top back edge of the overskirt.
- Continue sewing random gathered pairs along the top of the entire top edge.
- Press waistband in half lengthwise; open out and press edges to center fold.
- Mark center of waistband, with RST, match center mark to center of overskirt; pin along top edge to form a binding. Extra fabric is used for ties.
- Sew using 1/2" seam.
- Turn raw edge under 1/2" and turn to back, slip stitch closed.
- Turn under ends of extra fabric and sew along the edges for ties.
- Flip up first row of gathered layer and sew second row along marked line.
- Continue sewing rows along marked lines flipping up previous rows as you go.
- Fluff out layers and tie onto child’s waist over the dress.