1. Paint unfinished wood using the white acrylic paint. Allow to dry.
2. Cut four "stripes" of foam core the length of unfinished wood plaque. Cut three "stripes" of foam core 3/4 of the size of the wood plaque.
3. Wrap red yarn around two long "stripes" and two shorter "stripes" of foam core, adhering with glue.
4. Wrap white yarn around remaining foam "stripes" and adhere with glue.
5. Lay foam "stripes" on plaque noting where the red stripes lie. Remove.
6. Paint red stripes onto wooden plaque where the red "stripes" will lie. Allow to dry.
7. Glue red and white "stripes" into place. Allow to dry.
8. Cut a square shape from foam core to fit in remaining space on plaque. Cut out a star shape from the center.
9. Wrap blue yarn around "star" and adhere with glue.
10. Glue blue "star" onto plaque. Allow to dry.