SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 1 yd Kathy Davis Fabric
- 1/4" double-fold binding
- Quilters’ ruler
- Disappearing pen
- Basic sewing supplies
- Sewing machine
1/2" seam allowance included in all measurements.
- Cut 2 pieces 19 1/2" x 21" For the pocket, cut 1 piece measuring 5" x 5 1/2”.
- To print the diagram, click on the "Download Project PDF" button (above).
- See diagram for reference. Measure 2 1/4" from each top outer edge and mark with a disappearing pen. Mark 7" down from each top edge corner. Draw a line attaching the marks and cut on the line to form the bag’s outer side of the handles.
- Find the center top edge of the bag. Measure 5" across on both sides of the center and mark. Draw a 7" line down from each mark and draw a line attaching the 7" marks. Slightly curve the inner corners. Cut on the lines drawn to form the inner handles of the bag.
- With right sides together, sew the pocket pieces together on 2 long sides and one short side. Turn, press and edge stitch along the top (short side).
- Cut a 2 1/2" piece of the binding, fold in half lengthwise to make a loop and baste to the top side edge of the pocket, placing the raw edge of the loop on the edge of the pocket.
- Center the pocket on the bottom right side of one bag piece. Place the side with the loop on the right side of the lining up the raw edges of the pocket and bag. Stitch the bag close to pressed edge on both sides.
- Bind all outer edges and inner edges of the handles on both bag pieces.
- With right sides together stitch the bag pieces together on the handle tops, side edges and bottom edge.
- Fold the bottom corners 2" toward the bottom center of the bag to give it shape and stitch across the previous bottom stitching.
- Serge or zigzag stitch on all the raw edges. Turn right side out.
- Fold the top handles in to the wrong side placing the edges of the binding together and stitch across to handle seams to hold in place.
Place side of bag with pocket face down. Fold one side edge in using the pocket as a guide. Fold the other side in. Fold the bag down in half, then in half again (should be the size of the pocket). Put your hand in the pocket and grab the fabric including bag. Turn inside out.