Bag Fabric: 15"x22" quilted
Sashing strip: 2"x23"
Ends: Bag fabric 2 8" circles, lining fabric 2 8" circles- bag fabric
Batting: slightly larger than measurements for bag front and end circles
Strap, from fabric and interfacing: 1- 6"x8" and 1- 6"x54"
1. For a quilted patchwork bag, use multiple rectangles of fabrics and piece with 1/4" seam allowance. Improvise the arrangement of the prints, piecing rectangles together until the body is approximately 12"x22". Add a sashing strip to the left and right side. This pieced section should be slightly larger than the 15"x 22" rectangle needed as there will be some shrinkage after it is quilted.
2. Layer the pieced bag front, batting and lining fabric, spraying basting spray between the layers. Quilt as desired. Repeat for the bag end circles.
3. Trim quilted bag fabric to the correct size.
4. On a flat surface, place the quilted bag section right side up. With the zipper face down, align the edge of the zipper tape with the raw edge of bag. Using a zipper foot sew 1/4" from zipper tape. Press the fabric away from the zipper. Topstitch next to fold. Zigzag or serge the raw edge to zipper tape.
5. Repeat Step 4 for the other side of the zipper, forming a tube
6. If desired, piece the strap in a similar manner to the bag front. Press seams open and trim to correct sizes.
7. Fuse interfacing to both strap sections according to manufacturer's instructions. Fold the strap in half, (wrong sides together) and press to crease.
8. Open the strap and using the crease as guide, fold raw edges to center and align with crease, press. Fold strap again on crease, topstitch folded edges. Sew rows of stitching lengthwise on strap pieces approximately 1/4 " apart.
9. Repeat with short strap section.
10. Feed the short strap through the 1-3/4" rectangular loop and fold it in half. Sew across the strap near the loop to secure the loop inside the strap. Trim off the raw edges of the strap so that the fabric part is about 1 1/2" long.
11. From underneath, feed the finished end of the long strap around the center bar of the tri-bar rectangular slider, overlapping it on itself by 2". Pin and sew around the edges to form a rectangle with an X inside to secure the 2" tab in place.
12. Feed the raw end of the long strap through the underside of the rectangular loop and then under the first bar of the tri-bar slider, over the center bar, and under the third bar. Continue feeding it through so that most of the strap goes through the bars.
Buy only 1 set of the tri-bar slider, remove the slider of one and it then becomes the rectangular loop.
With zipper closed, center the short strap at over one end of the zipper, raw edges together. Baste in place. Repeat with the long strap on the other side.
Fold the end circles in half and mark the folds. On the “tube”? mark the bottom center opposite the zipper. Open the zipper slightly to allow for turning to the right side.
Pin the end to the bag, right sides together, matching the center of the end to the zipper and the bottom center of the tube. Stitch, easing the fabric as necessary, clip if needed. Repeat on the other end.
Serge or zigzag raw edges of seams.
Turn to the right side through zipper opening.