SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
1 Fabric Central Snap Bundle
Basic sewing supplies
Iron & pressing surface
Read all instructions before beginning project. The Diagram refrences the PDF that is free to download/print. Do not prewash fabrics. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Use a 1/2” seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Finish seams with a serger or zigzag stitch.
1. Cut the following pieces: Fabric Quarter – Turquoise Small Daisy (Row 1) Cut 2 – 8” x 21” Fabric Quarter – Turquoise Oval Patch (Row 2) Cut 2 – 8” x 21” Fabric Quarter – Pink Tonal Circles (Ruffle) Cut 4 – 3-1/2” x 21” Fabric Quarter – Brown Tossed Floral (Row 3) Cut 2 – 9” x 21” Fabric Quarter – Diagonal Stripe (Shoulder Ties) Cut 4 – 3” x 21”
2. To make armholes, layer and fold both Turquoise Small Daisy (Row 1) pieces in half. Mark the top 3” from the cut edge and mark the side 5” down from the top as shown (Dia. A). Connect the dots and cut along the line.
3. To hem each armhole, press under 1/4”, then again and stitch close to folded edge (Dia. B).
4. To make top casing, press under 1/4” then 1-3/4”. Stitch close to the ¼” folded edge and ½” down from the top fold (Dia. C).
5. Layer front and back RST (Row 1). Match armholes, pin and stitch the short side seams. Press open.
6. Pin the two Turquoise Oval Patch (Row 2) fabrics with RST. Sew side seams and press open.
7. Make sure the design in Row 2 is oriented correctly. With RST, align the side seams of Rows 1 and 2; pin (Dia. D). Sew and press seams open.
8. Sew the side seams of the two Brown Tossed Floral (Row 3) fabrics. Press seams open.
9. To make ruffle, pin all four pieces (RST) of Pink Tonal Circles (Ruffle) end to end making a circle. To hem one edge, press under 1/4”, then 1/4” again and stitch close to folded edge.
10. Gather remaining raw edge by stitching two rows 1/8” apart using the machine’s longest stitch length. Leave tails at the beginning, stitch around two sections and stop, leaving long tails at end. Repeat for remaining two sections (Dia. E).
11. Align WS of ruffle seams (where the thread tails are) to side seams of RS of Row 3 and pin. Pull bobbin threads to make gathers and spread evenly across width. Pin well and sew together (Dia. F).
12. Pin Row 3 with ruffle, to top of Row 2 (RST), aligning side seams (Dia. G). Sew and press seams toward Row 2.
13. To hem lower dress edge, press under 1/4” then 3/4” and topstitch close to folded edge.
14. Sew two Diagonal Stripe (Shoulder Ties) fabrics RST along short end and press open. With RST, fold lengthwise and trim ends at a 45° angle (Dia. H). Stitch ¼” from all raw edges, leaving 3-4” open in the center to turn. Turn right side out using a wooden dowel or chopstick, push out points and press well. Hand stitch opening closed. Repeat for remaining tie
15. Thread ties through front and back casings using a large safety pin. Gather and tie bows to finish.