SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- OLFA® 24" x 36" self-healing Cutting Mat
- OLFA® Rotary Circle Cutter
- OLFA® 28mm Quick Change Rotary Cutter
- OLFA® 6" X 24" Frosted Advantage Ruler
- OLFA® 5" Precision Applique Scissors
- Solid Fabric, Black
- Solid Fabric, Red
- Cotton Fabric, Red Buffalo Check
- Keepsake Calico Cotton Fabric, Red & Black Plaid
- Double-Faced Pre-Quilted Cotton Fabric, White
- Cotton Batting
- Sewing Machine
- Thread, in Desired Color
- Pins or Clips
- Bias Tape
RECTANGLE MUG RUG:
- Cut one 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" rectangle from pre quilted fabric.
- Set your OLFA circle rotary cutter to the smallest setting and cut a circle from quilting cotton. The smallest setting is 3/4" which will produce a 1 1/2" circle.
- Cut six more circles from various quilting cottons by moving the setting on the OLFA circle cutter by one measurement line each time.
- Arrange circles on the pre quilted rectangle until you're happy with the look.
- Use a decorative zig zag stitch to attach the circles.
CATHEDRAL MUG RUG:
- Cut 9 1/2" square batting.
- Cut 9 1/2" square backing quilting cotton.
- For small Cathedral Style Mug Rug Cut four 4 1/2" squares from quilting cotton. Sew them into a 4 patch.
- For large Cathedral Style Mug Rug cut four 5" squares from quilting cotton. Sew them into a 4 patch.
- Layer batting on bottom with backing face up. Then place the 4 patch face down on top. Pin.
- With OLFA's Rotary Circle Cutter set to 3 1/2" for the small mug rug OR set the tool to 4" for the large mug rug. Use the center point of the 4 patch to cut a circle through all 3 layers. Sew with a 1/4" seam allowance all the way around leaving a 1 1/4" turning hole.
- Turn out through the hole, use a steamy iron to press the seams. Sew the turning hole shut.
- Fold the round edges toward the front to create a square mug rug. Machine stitch the folds flat.
FOR CIRCLE MUG RUG:
- Cut two 6 1/2" squares quilting cotton.
- Cut one 6 1/2" square batting.
- Cut 15" bias tape.
- Make a quilt sandwich by layering quilting cotton backing, cotton batting and quilting cotton. Quilt as desired.
- Set OLFA's circle cutter to 3" and cut a circle from the quilted square. This will give you a 6" quilted circle.
- Attach the bias binding.