1. Slice along the seam (where the inside cover meets the book spine) with an exacto knife.
2. Make a cut right down the middle of the book spine with the exact knife.
3. Glue down the excess spine material onto the hardcover's back.
4. To line the inner book covers, cut paper or fabric to size, then glue down.
5. Measure and mark book cover and back for 2 holes that fit a standard hole punch width.
6. Drill holes. Don't drill through the paper and covers at same time.
7. Affix grommets (also called eyelets) in each of the holes.
8. Size recycled paper to fit book size.
9. Assemble cover, back, and filler paper with the book rings.