SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
- 2 LDB Pink Dot Fat Quarters 18" x 21" (Backpack)
- 2 LDB Green Floral and Dot Fat Quarters 18" x 21" (Ruffles)
- 5?8" Coordinating grosgrain ribbon - 3 1?3 yards
- Coordinating thread
- Safety pin
- Basic sewing supplies
- Rotary cutter, mat & acrylic ruler
- Sewing machine
- Iron & pressing surface
- Rolled hem foot – optional
Finished Project Size: 15" x 16"
- Read all instructions before beginning project. Do not pre-wash fabrics. Before cutting, press fabrics with a dry iron on cotton setting. Label pieces as they are cut. Use a 1/2" seam allowance and sew fabrics with right sides together (RST) unless otherwise noted. Backstitch at the beginning and end of each seam to secure stitching. Finish seam allowances with zigzag or serge stitching.
- Pink Dot: ?2 - 17" x 17" squares (Backpack)
- Green Floral and Dot:?3 - 4-1/4" x 21" (Ruffle Centers)?6 - 4-1/4" x 10-1/2" (Ruffle Sides)
- Ribbon:?2 - 5?8" x 60"
- Measure down 2-1/4" from the top on each long edge of the Pink Dot Backpack pieces (17" x 17") and make a 1/2" snip on each edge. Fold the sides of the 2-1/4" section 1/4" to the wrong side twice and sew on the inside fold to hem the casing (Dia. A).
- Press the top edge to the wrong side ¼" and again 1". Sew on the inside fold to make a 1" casing on both pieces (Dia. B).
- Use 1/4"seam allowance to sew two Green Floral and Dot Ruffle sides?(4-1/4" x 10-1/2") RST on opposite ends of a matching Green Floral and Dot?Ruffle center (4-1/4" x 21"); press seams open (Dia. C).
- Press one long edge of the Ruffle 1/4" to the wrong side, then again 1/4" to the?wrong side. Sew close to the inside fold to hem the Ruffle bottom or use rolled hem foot. Press the top edge 1/4" to the wrong side. Fold the Ruffle so ends meet and press a crease to mark the center of the strip. Sew a long gathering stitch 1?8" from the pressed edge and a second gathering stitch 1/4" from the edge (Dia. D). Repeat Steps 3 and 4 to make three Ruffles.
- Fold the Backpack front together and press to mark the center. On the right side, mark a line 5" from the bottom edge and align the top of one Ruffle along the marked line. Pin the ends, match and pin the middle creases. Pull the gathering stitches from each end and evenly distribute the gathers; pin well. Sew between the rows of gathering stitches to attach the Ruffle and sew the ends to each side edge of the Backpack. Repeat for the remaining two Ruffles, spacing them 3" apart (Dia. E). Note: The bottom of each Ruffle should cover the gathering stitches of the Ruffle below it. Clip tails of gathering threads.
- Pin and sew the sides and bottom, leaving a 1" opening on the sides, 1" from the bottom (Dia. F).
- Attach the safety pin to the end of one ribbon; feed through one casing, then back through the second casing (Dia. G).
- Pull the ribbon to make the ends even. Thread the ribbon ends through the Backpack and out the 1" opening on the side, at the bottom edge (Dia. H).
- Sew the 1" opening closed to secure the strap. Repeat Steps 4 & 5 for the second strap going in the opposite direction (Dia. I).
- Trim loose threads; press if needed, to remove creases.
- Turn Backpack right side out and pull ribbon to gather and close the top.
Finished Care Instructions: Wash in cool water and hang to dry; press if needed.