Finished size of organizer: 13” x 17”
Finished size of pin cushion: 6” x 6”
Cut the following:
13-1/2" x 17-1/2" – 1 each from organizer front and back fabrics
8 x 13-1/2” - 1 from each of the 3 coordinating fabrics
3-1/2” x 10” cut 2 from one of the prints
Cut from fleece:
13-1/2” x 17-1/2” for organizer
4” x 13-1/2” Cut 3 for pockets
For pin cushion, cut:
4-1/2” x 4-1/2” – cut 1 from coordinating fabric
7” x 7” – for back from one of the print fabrics and fleece
1-1/2”x 7”- 4 strips- from another print
Note: All seam allowances are 1/4 “and are included in the given measurements.
1. Fuse the fleece following manufacturer’s instructions to the wrong side of the rectangle for the organizer front.
2. Fuse one strip of fleece to the wrong side of each pocket strip aligning it with one long side. Fold one strip in half lengthwise having the wrong sides together. Stitch 1/8” from the doubled raw edges and 1/4" from the long folded edge. Place this strip along the bottom edge of the white fleeced rectangle, aligning the bottom and sides and having the folded edge upwards. Stitch the strip in place along the sides and bottom edge.
3. Fold the remaining 2 strips in half lengthwise right sides together. Stitch along the long doubled raw edge, leaving the sides unstitched. Turn strips right side out and press. Stitch 1/4" from the top (folded) edge.
4. Having the seamed edge downwards, place one of the strips 3-1/2” from the top edge of the fleeced rectangle. Center the second strip between the top strip and the bottom strip stitched in place earlier.
5. Stitch the strips in place on the rectangle along the sides and bottom edges.
6. Pin the backing fabric to the rectangle, wrong sides together. Stitch 1/8” from the raw edges. Bind the rectangle with the bias tape using the all-purpose thread.
7. Mark a line along the center of the center strip, and mark 2 equally spaced lines (about 3” from each side) in the top and bottom strip. Stitch along the marked lines to form the pocket divisions. Backstitch to secure.
8. Fold 3-1/2” x 10” strips in half lengthwise with the right sides together and stitch along the long edge to form a long tube. Turn the tube right side out. Center the seam along the tube and press. Fold each tube in half to form a loop.
9. Hand sew the loops to the top back side of the organizer, about 3” from the side edges.
10. Pin Cushion:
11. Stitch a 1-1/2” x 7” strip to each side of the pincushion square, trimming ends. Repeat with top and bottom edges. Fuse the fleece to the wrong side of the pincushion top. Trim away any excess fleece.
12. Pin the pincushion top to the backing, having the right sides together. Trim backing to the size of the top. Sew together and leaving a 3” opening along one side for turning. Clip corners and turn right side out. Stuff firmly with fiberfill and hand-stitch the opening closed. Sew button to the center of the pincushion through all layers to complete the project.