SUPPLIES & TOOLS:
Note: To prevent fraying, use a finishing or zig zag stitch along each raw fabric edge. Seam allowances are 1/4" unless otherwise noted. If ironing is needed, use medium set dry iron.
1. Cut Square By Design™ Square 11-1/2"x19-1/2" centering design in the area that measures 11-1/2"x14". A portion of the 11-1/2"x19-1/2" rectangle will wrap to the back.
2. Cut back fabric to measure 11-1/2"x10-1/4". With right sides together, sew back fabric to the motif piece along short ends to have one unit to measure 29"x11-1/2".
3. From the contrasting fabric, cut the following:
o 11-1/2"x29-1/4" for lining.
o 11-1/2"x18" for pocket flaps
o 2"x2-1/2" for loop to hold pen
4. Fold the two smaller pocket flap pieces in half and press so they measure 8-3/4"x11-1/2".
5. Fold the 2"x2-1/2" strip lengthwise and press. Stitch a 1/4" seam and turn to right side. Topstitch each side. Fold in half to form a loop.
6. Measure 3" up from right bottom edge of motif fabric and align one raw edge of loop. Machine stitch 1" from raw edge of the center of loop to secure to motif fabric.
7. Fold loop in half so you have both raw edges of loop lined up with raw edge of motif.
8. Layer each of the prepared fabric pieces by placing the rectangle motif piece right side up, place a pocket piece on each short end with raw edges together, and place the contrasting rectangle piece of fabric on top of pockets with the wrong side on top. Align raw edges together and pin on all 4 sides.
9. Stitch on all sides, leaving a 6" opening on the back where back fabric meets the motif fabric.
10. Carefully turn to right side through opening and press with medium dry iron.
11. Hand stitch the opening closed.
12. Insert flap of sketchpad into each pocket.
13. To add stiffness to the front cover, cut a rectangle of cardboard 11"x14" and insert in front flap (optional).