1. Cut a piece of felt the desired size of rug. This will be the backer and a base to work from. Set aside.
2. Using scissors, cut just below the armpits of the T-shirt to create a tube of fabric. Take the body of the T-shirt, starting at the top, cut a 1" strip and continue all the way around spiraling until there is one long piece of fabric 1" wide. Wrap up the fabric strip to keep it from getting tangled and making it easier to work with. Repeat this with the remaining T-shirts until there are 6 balls of fabric.
3. Glue the ends of three colors of fabric together to secure them. Braid the three stripes together. To integrate other colors cut one of the three fabric stripes and glue another color end to that cut end. Continue braiding.
4. Throughout the braiding continue to add in other colors to vary the color pattern throughout the rug.
5. Take the beginning end of the braid and glue it to the center of the rug. Tuck under the end when gluing in place so a clean edge is visible. Continue gluing the braid in place wrapping it around the center point.
6. Depending on the size of rug the length of the braid will need to be extended.
7. To finish off the end of the rug, glue the raw end by tucking it under the previous row to hide the unfinished end.
*A carpet pad will be needed to keep the rug from slipping on smooth surfaces. Another alternative is to add grip to the back of the rug.