1. Prewash shirt and leave damp. Lay out on work surface covered with disposable plastic table cover.
2. Fold shirt in half lengthwise. Use marker to draw a vertical line from outside edge of neckline to hem of shirt. Pleat along this line and bind tightly with rubber band. Add a second rubber band slightly outside the first.
3. Mix Blue dye according to package instructions. Pour approximately ½" of dye from bottle into plastic cup. Set aside.
4. Use remaining dye to saturate sleeve and side area of tied shirt.
5. Pour reserved dye back into empty dye bottle and fill with water to create a light dilution.
6. Apply diluted dye mixture to center section of shirt.
7. Cover shirt with plastic tablecloth and let set 6-8 hours.
8. Rinse shirt under running water to remove excess dye. Wash and dry shirt as recommended in dye package instructions.
9. Using scissors cut out neckline of shirt.
10. Iron a large piece of freezer paper to inside front of shirt.
11. Use chalk pencil to draw three hearts vertically down center front of shirt.
12. Use Black fabric marker to shade in and color bottom two hearts. Remove freezer paper from inside shirt.
13. Use scissors to cut out top heart.
14. Cut two small slits under bottom marker heart.
15. Thread ribbon or scrap fabric strip through slits and tie.