1. Measure the width of bed platform. Determine desired height of headboard. The project shown uses a 55” wide full size platform bed with a 48” high headboard.
2. Cut a piece of lightweight tempered hardboard to size desired size from step 1.
3. Prime the hardboard surface.
4. Cut wallpaper strips, making sure to line up the pattern and center the design before making cuts. Leave a few extra inches on the sides, top, and bottom.
5. Brush the board with wallpaper glue and adhere wallpaper, lining each strip up so that the seams meet but do not overlap. Smooth the paper firmly to the board and remove air bubbles and wrinkles. Wipe off excess paste with a damp cloth or sponge. Allow hardboard to dry.
6. Turn board over on a clean, dry surface, protected with a drop cloth. Apply glue along the edges of the back and wrap the residual wallpaper, or cut off excess with a utility knife.
7. Create a frame for wallpapered board by gluing and nailing the 4 boards together at angles. Optional: paint or stain wood to match.
8. Turn the frame face down on a work surface and place wallpapered hardboard onto it with the pattern facing down, as well. Use small nails to affix the board to the frame.
9. Add hanging hardware to the back and hang headboard on the wall behind bed.