*Select the zipper according to skirt length. The finished length will be 3" shorter than the length of the zipper.
1. For waistband: cut a strip along the lengthwise selvage of the fabric 7" wide x your waist measurement + 1".
For interfacing: cut a strip 3" wide x your waist measurement.
For skirt: cut two panels the width of the fabric (less the waistband strip) x the length of the zipper less 1-1/2".
2. Fold the waistband in half lengthwise, wrong sides together and press to crease. Align the fusible interfacing with the crease and 1/2" from the CUT edges of the band, fusible side to wrong side of fabric. Fuse according to manufacturer’s instructions.
3. Thread machine with black thread. Sew the center back skirt seam together. Hint: Use the selvage edges as the back seam and
it will not be necessary to finish the seam. Set machine for a long stitch (4-5 mm) for gathering. Sew one row of gathering stitches 1/2" from the cut edge of the fabric; sew a second row 1/8" from the first row leaving thread tails for gathering. Gather skirt to match the size of the waistband.
4. Pin skirt to cut edge (with interfacing) of waistband right sides together. Using a 5/8" seam allowance, sew skirt to band. Press seam towards band. Fold band at center to wrong side, pinning the selvage edge over the seam. Stitch in the ditch in the waistband seam on the right side of the skirt catching the selvage edge of waistband.
5. Press 1/2" on each center seam to the right side of fabric. Separate the zipper and place it with the bottom stop at the top of the waistband, covering the 1/2" fold. The top of the zipper will be at the hem. Pin zipper in place. Replace black thread with red thread on the top. Using a zipper foot, stitch 1/4" away from zipper teeth. Using regular presser foot, stitch a second time 1/4" away from first stitching. Repeat on the other side of the front seam, making sure the waistband seam lines up when the zipper is closed.
6. Hem: Press under 1/4" along raw edge, then again at 1/2" folding the ends of the zipper tape with the fabric. Stitch along folded edge.