Whenever we use the words "we" or "us" or "Jo-Ann," we are referring to Jo-Ann Stores LLC (doing business as Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores™), and to Joann.com LLC, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Jo-Ann Stores LLC. Whenever we use the words "our web site," we are referring to http://www.joann.com.
- How and Why We Collect Personal Information
- How We Use Personal Information
- Our Disclosure of Your Personal Information
- Social Network Widgets
- Mobile Applications
- How You Can Stop Receiving Communications
- Information From Children Under 13
- Links to Other Web Sites
- Your California Privacy Rights
- How You Can Reach Us
- How to Request Access to, or the Correction of, Your Personal Information
"De-identified Information" means information that is no longer associated with you, or linked to your Personal Information (as defined below). De-identified Information does not reference the identities of individual persons.
"Cookies" are small pieces of information that a web site, including our web site, sends to your computer or to your mobile device while you are viewing a web site. We use both session Cookies (which expire after you close your web browser) and persistent Cookies (which stay on your computer until you delete them) to provide you with a more personalized and interactive experience on our web site. Persistent Cookies can be removed by following your Internet browser help file directions. If you choose to disable Cookies, some areas of our web site may not work properly.
An "Internet protocol address" or "IP Address" is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet. In some cases, your IP Address stays the same from browser session to browser session, but if you use a consumer internet service provider, your IP Address probably varies from session to session. We track IP Addresses in conjunction with session cookies to analyze our web page traffic flow.
"Personal Information" is information about you that is linked to you as an individual, such as your name, postal address, email address, phone number, credit card number and expiration date, gift recipients, as well as other non-public information that is associated with that information. Personal Information does not include technical information such as unique device identifiers, randomly assigned unique identifiers in cookies, mobile device name, or IP addresses. We and our business partners obtain and often keep Personal Information when you send us an email, purchase product, sign up for our Preferred Customer program, supply information to our Career Center, or communicate with our Customer Service department.
Our web site is maintained in the state of Ohio in the United States, and by submitting your Personal Information to us, either through our web site or by other means, you are agreeing to the collection and storage of your Personal Information in the United States.
Please note that your Personal Information may be used by Jo-Ann in the country where it was collected, as well as in the United States, where laws regarding the use of Personal Information may be less strict than the laws in your country.
3. How and Why We Collect Personal Information
The Personal Information that we gather from you helps us learn about our customers, the visitors to our web site, and our potential customers. We use this Personal Information to better tailor the features, performance and support of our products, services and web site, and to offer you additional information, if you have consented to receive it.
We collect Personal Information that you submit to us voluntarily to our web site, through our mobile apps, or through third party websites or emails, in the following ways:
- When you register and set up an account on our web site, we collect your name, postal address, and telephone number (both for billing and for shipping purposes), your account username, password, email address, and credit card information (number, type of card [Visa, MasterCard, etc.] and expiration date).
- When you sign up to receive emails, or when you sign up for our Preferred Customer program (in our stores, on our web site, on third-party web sites, or in response to email advertisements), we collect your email address and your postal address to send you advertisements. We also ask for additional voluntary information, such as hobbies and interests, to better provide you with relevant offerings.
- When you purchase a gift card on our web site, we collect the name of the recipient (including yourself, if you are buying the card for yourself), and either the email address and your personalized email message to the recipient, or the postal address of the recipient, depending on whether you send an electronic gift card or a physical gift card.
- When you sign up to become an advertiser, we collect your name, company name, email address and comments you have.
- When you contact us by email, we collect your name, email address, and any other information contained in the email that you send us.
- When you enter a sweepstakes, we collect your name, postal address, country and email address.
- When you use our Career Center (which is operated by a third party service provider) and create a profile to search for a job, we collect and keep the following information: (a) your name, telephone number, postal address, and any licensing, certification or other credentials you may have; (b) information about your education and qualifications, (c) your salary expectations, (d) your availability; and (e) other information relevant to your possible employment, as well as any other information you choose to submit. This information is made available only to our employees involved in the recruitment process, and it is used only for recruitment purposes. Employees of our third party service provider have access to your Personal Information, but they are subject to the same privacy protection requirements as our employees, and they may use the information only for the purpose of providing us with technical support. (This paragraph is not applicable in Canada as currently, there are no Jo-Ann retail stores in Canada).
- When you sign up to receive text messages, we collect your mobile telephone number, in order to send you the text messages. We also collect your name and zip code if you choose to provide it. For more information about text messages from Jo-Ann and how to stop them, go to this link: www.joann.com/SMS
- When we receive Personal Information from other sources like postal mail, telephone or fax, we will add this information to the information we have already collected from you.
On our web site, we also collect other information from you automatically, through the use of technology, without you taking steps to submit that information, whenever you use our website for any purpose (shopping, submitting a request to customer service, searching the career center, etc.), in the following ways:
- As you navigate our web site, we collect information including your IP address, browser type, domain names, access times, and operating system.
- When you access our web site from mobile devices (such as smart phones or tablets), we collect information including access times, the operating system, the products for which you searched and viewed, and the other resources on our web site that you used or visited.
4. How We Use Personal Information
We use your Personal Information to respond to requests that you make, to help us serve you better, and to provide you with a personalized web site experience. If you have signed up to receive email from us, we also use your Personal Information to provide you with promotional emails for our products, and for other marketing and advertising purposes.
For example, based on your shopping habits when you visit our web site (what items you browse, what items you place in your shopping cart, and what items you purchase), we (or our marketing partner, on our behalf) may send you personalized advertisements that identify products we think you may be interested in (See the section titled “Advertising” below). We may also use your shopping habits to send you personalized email product alerts.
We limit our employees' access to Personal Information to those employees with a business reason for knowing such information, and those employees will use the information only for appropriate business reasons.
We may create De-identified Information from Personal Information by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the information personally identifiable to you. We may use this De-identified Information to analyze request patterns and usage patterns so that we may enhance our products and services. As this De-identified Information does not identify you, we use and disclose De-identified Information to third parties at our discretion.
5. Our Disclosure of Your Personal Information
Regardless of any choices you make regarding your Personal Information, we may disclose your Personal Information if we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to (a) comply with laws or to respond to subpoenas or other judicial orders served on us, or (b) to protect and defend the rights or property of Jo-Ann or third parties.
To provide offers that are of interest to you, we may allow other companies to place advertisements on our web site. As a result of your visit to our web site, advertisement server companies may collect information such as your domain type, your IP address, and clickstream information.
We use "interest-based" advertisements also known as "online behavioral advertising." Online behavioral advertising is advertising that is directed to you based, at least in part, on your Internet browsing behavior across the World Wide Web. Although we do not share Personal Information with the third parties that conduct advertising operations on our behalf, these third parties and their affiliates do collect certain information as a result of their "tags" being on our website. The information that they collect includes the name (URL) of the web pages you view while on our site, your IP address, time of visit, information about your browser software, information about your device, and randomly-assigned identifiers stored in Cookies, which they use to target and serve advertising.
Some third parties involved in advertising operations may maintain their own proprietary consumer databases that allow them to personally identify or track website visitors. Other third parties have proprietary technologies to determine what additional devices you may use, on which it can display relevant advertisements.
Do-Not-Track is a public-private initiative that has developed a “flag” or signal that an internet user may activate in the user’s browser software to notify websites that the user does not wish to be “tracked” by third parties as defined by the initiative. For more information, visit http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/.
You can make decisions about your privacy and the ads you receive. You can control whether companies serve you on-line behavioral advertising by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance website and using its opt-out: http://www.aboutads.info/choices/. The DAA opt-out requires that cookies not be blocked in your browser.
As an alternative to the DAA opt–out, you can also elect to block all Cookies from first parties (such as those from our website) and Cookies from third parties (such as advertisers) by using the cookie blocking options built into your browser software. For example, in Internet Explorer 9, you can block both first–party and third-party cookies by selecting those options at Tools/Internet Options/Privacy/Settings-Advanced/Override Automatic Cookie Handling. Also, if you are using Firefox 25, you can "uncheck" Accept All Cookies under Firefox Preferences/Privacy-Use Custom Settings For History/Accept Cookies from Sites. If you block Cookies, some parts of our website may not function correctly.
We use a third party service provider to manage our product review system. When you submit product reviews on our website, our third party service provider may place Cookies on your browser and offer advertising to you. For more information on how this provider uses your information, please visit this link: http://go.bazaarvoice.com/848PGD1740001EG001ipQ00
7. Social Network Widgets
Our website may include social network or other third–party plug–ins and widgets that may provide information to their associated social networks or third-parties about your interactions with our web pages that you visit, even if you do not click on or otherwise interact with the plug-in or widget. Information is transmitted from your browser and may include an identifier assigned by the social network or third party, information about your browser type, operating system, device type, IP address, and the URL of the web page where the plug-in or widget appears. If you use social network tools or visit social networking sites, you should read their privacy disclosures, to learn what information they collect, use, and share.
8. Mobile Applications
9. How You Can Stop Receiving Communications
When you receive sales flyers, advertisements, direct mail, and other promotional communications from us, including email, you will have the opportunity to "opt-out" by following the "unsubscribe" instructions in the email you receive, or by contacting us directly. Once you have submitted your email address to "unsubscribe," please note that you may continue to receive emails for a time while our system updates your request. You also may use the "Contact Us"page on our website to inform the Customer Service Department of your selection, or follow the instructions in Section 11.
On our web site, you may change any of the Personal Information in your account by editing your My Account information.
If you need any additional assistance please contact us.
Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
Attn: Manager of Customer Service
5555 Darrow Road
Hudson, OH 44236
10. Information from Children Under 13
On our web site, we do not intentionally gather Personal Information about visitors to our web site who are under the age of 13, except as follows. When an adult registers a child for an educational class in one of our retail stores, then we will ask for information about the child. If you learn that your child under 13 has provided our web site with his/her Personal Information, please contact us and we will disable that information.
In our stores, we collect information about children under age 13 when an adult registers that child for an educational class.
11. Links to Other Web Sites
Our web site has implemented electronic means of protecting your Personal Information. Even though we have taken steps to ensure that your Personal Information is not accessed, used, or disclosed by unauthorized persons, you should know that we cannot fully eliminate security risks associated with Personal Information. Please click here to see information about safe shopping on our web site.
13. Your California Privacy Rights
Under Section 1798.83 of the California Civil Code, residents of California have the right to request from a business, with whom the California resident has an established business relationship, certain information with respect to the types of personal information the business shares with third parties for those third parties' direct marketing purposes, and the identities of the third parties with whom the business has shared such information during the immediately preceding calendar year. To exercise your rights, you may make one request each year by emailing us at email@example.com with "Request for California Privacy Information" on the subject line and in the body of your message. Be sure to provide in the request sufficient information to properly identify you and/or the members of your family
14. How You Can Reach Us
Jo-Ann Fabric and Craft Stores
Attn: Manager of Customer Service
5555 Darrow Road
Hudson, OH 44236
15. How to Request Access to, or the Correction of, Your Personal Information
Except in limited circumstances governed by law, you may obtain access to and have your Personal Information in our records corrected. A request for access or correction must be made in writing to the address provided in Section 14.
This policy was last updated in July, 2014.